Thursday, October 29, 2015

There and Back Again

      I still haven't been back home for as long as I was away this spring. Seems crazy! I feel like I've been back for forever. Some days I wonder if I really went?

      Yesterday, though, I got to talk about Wales and study abroad for five hours. I had a booth at the International Study Abroad Fair, and a poster board that was pretty much a gigantic scrapbook. It was so fun! My table neighbor, Melanie, with ISEP (non-profit organization), agreed with me that it can be hard to share overseas experiences.
      You have to come across just right, or people think you're rubbing some unattainable dream in their faces. Which is just not true.



        All sorts of people came to my table. Some were freshman, forced to be there. But I met several eager people whose families travel, who had road-tripped across America, or who were desperate to go somewhere.
         I give a gold star to the history buff who saw Swansea marked on the map and said, "Oh, so just west of Cardiff!" Also to the girl who could pronounce the lateral fricative (double ll) in Llangollen and had visited Port Meirion.

It's amazing how people can surprise you, even tucked away in little Tahlequah.

No comments:

Post a Comment