Saturday, March 21, 2015

Sunny Swansea

Swansea is the wettest city in Britain (Wales Online). If it isn't gushing cold little rice-grain pellets, it's still spitting. Or it mists, so you breathe in the rain. Pluviophiles love it.

 

My housemates talked about the solar eclipse for days ahead of time. Estela bought certified solar viewers a month ago.

The night before the eclipse I thought I'd wake up to low, gray stratus clouds obscuring the sky. But Friday morning sun through my window burst me awake before my 7:30 a.m. alarm

All across the beach in front of the uni, students knotted in groups with phones and cardboard boxes at the ready. Even in this day and age, rare natural events are worth skipping class or missing having a lie-in.

 

Joy and I played the quiz game over Narnia books and Jane Austen protagnoists while we made our DIY sun projector and waited for the moment. The two-hour eclipse peaked at 9:28 a.m. The temperature dropped. All at once I realized that everything that was green earlier was now dusky gray. Way far out, sparkling madly at the lip of the horizon like a motorcycle engine in July, was the sea.

And the sun. The sky was hazy with pollution, but not a cloud to block the sun.

It was just a fingernail sliver of light like a crescent moon.

 

Photo courtesy of Paige Bowyer
 
Photo courtesy of Estela Summer

 


Swansea may be the rainy capital of the Britain but she's sunny when it counts.

Photo courtesy of Paige Bowyer

 

Apparently, Swansea is a great spot for solar panels: link).

Beach selfie courtesy of Paige Bowyer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing! The sun looks like a small, red moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at the right place for this spectacular occurrence. Hope no one was burning up his/her cornea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not either, but probably there were lots of people thinking, "Oh, it's not that bright. I'll just look!"

      Delete
  3. What! Did it get that black for a moment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it didn't get that dark. I think that's just because of the solar glasses. The sky was only ever about as dark as early evening.

    ReplyDelete