Wednesday, May 13, 2015

I Can See Corfe Castle

Every family has unique traditions. Paige and her family, on their road trips down to their summer holiday site, race to say, "I can see Corfe Castle, and Corfe Castle can see me!"

Corfe Castle was built and owned by a lot of important figures: King Alfred who burnt the cakes, William the Conqueror, Kings Henry the I, VII, and VIII, King Edward, and King John. It served as a prison and once housed the royal jewels. Now it's owned by the National Trust, which means a pricey entry fee, which Paige's mum kindly paid.

Paige and I said to each other "What if you were the Queen?" of the castle. We might as well have been royal, sitting in the windows...

...wathcing soldiers charge...
...rambling through courtyards...
...being imprisoned...
... ducking through old archways...
...and surveying the surrounding country.
When you visit castles, expect wind.

 

After we saw everything we came down the hill and rested.

A cup of darjeeling tea, one lump of sugar

Then we picked up lunch at the village bakery and had a short wander around Corfe Village.

 

 

 

 

Satisfied there, we headed for our next stop: Durlston.

 

4 comments:

  1. Ooooo, your photos read like a story. Queen Erika gets captured by her wicked uncle who wants the crown for himself. I hope her loyal knights rescued her. Aaaa, I can smell the Darjeeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I like Mama's narration–I hope the story has a fabulous rescue at the end.
      Darjeeling is nice, isn't it? It has a refreshingly mild taste.

      Delete
  2. I finally came to life to read your blogs! Hey, I love all your pictures- you do a good job taking good ones!!! It's so beautiful and magnificent- yay you are making use of the castles in your whereabouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Hey, thanks! I'm glady you like my pictures. It's a very photogenic landscape. I'm loving the castles, especially the ruins! They've got so much history. I wish we could do castle-viewing together!

      Delete