Sunday, February 22, 2015

Aubergines, Bonnets, and Chavs

"Alien" always seemed like such an extreme descriptor to apply foreigners, but now I see it's aptness. Just the differences between British and American English make me sometimes feel like a visitor from another planet. For example,

"aubergines" are not a fancy French delicacy, as I guessed, but your common, everyday, purple eggplants, and

if I asked for biscuits and gravy here, people would look at me like I was mad. Who wants meat sauce on their cookie (although they do like meat spread on their toast!)? Then,

there is the chav. I haven't met one yet, but according to Wikipedia chavs are individuals who exhibit "loutish behavior, violence, and particular speech patterns." Apparently they are also recognizable by their designer (or imitation) brand sport clothes and "bling".

I'm learning my ABC's all over again. It's quite entertaining most of the time and involves copious amounts of laughter and raising of eyebrows.

 

My fellow Americans, what do you think of this offer?

"We are having ice cream for pudding. Would you like hundreds and thousands on it?"




Hint:

pudding=dessert

hundreds and thousands=sprinkles

 

2 comments: