Sunday, February 1, 2015

Saturday in Bath

Saturday was an all day trip to Bath, England, the city on which Rome left such an imposing mark (and as Joy delighted repeated, the place where Jane Austen walked). The two-hour bus ride gave us Americans a view of idyllic English countryside.

Here are the tan stone buildings as you enter the city.

It was like stepping into a history documentary, but instead of the man's voice to narrate, there are street performers--buskers I think they're called--playing for tips. They were amazingly good! Better than any X-Factor performer.

I didn't have to pay admission--the field trips are part of our culture course!

Here's a look up from inside.

I took my time listening to the audioguide and looking at the coins and statues and lots of old stone from graves, walls, and stairs.


The artifacts were interesting, and I took my time listening to the audio guide, but it was the actual bubbling, hot bath that impressed me.
Looking at the green, popping, dust-swirled pool surrounded by uneven walkways and tan columns, I sensed the age--the hundred and hundreds of years of rain and dirt and continued water-bubbling-up-from-under-the-ground--of the place.

After the Roman Baths we spent an hour an a half exploring the city. Lots of tiny shops (one was creatively called The Small Shop), a market, more musicians, beautiful little narrow alleyways. There was too much to do and see in such a short time, but at least I got a taste.

Goodbye Bath! Until next time.

 

6 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! Did you see the Crescent? Was what I said about Bath right? And are you allowed to touch that maccha-looking water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to see the Crescent! 4 and a half hours is too short.
      Yes, what you said about Bath is right!! The countryside is so iconicly British, and the city itself is so cobbly and Englandy!
      They warned us not to touch the water because centuries of naste has been building up in it, and it's quite contaminated. I spied someone across the baths touching it, though. :0

      Delete
  2. You'll have to go back there to fully appreciate everything. All the buildings look extremely familiar! No wonder; they are Italian. I'm glad you told me the water is contaminated, or I would have jumped in for a good soak! (I'm sure all the Japanese have this urge!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must go back!
      Oooh, Mama would feel familiar in the Italian setting. Ahh, I'm sure you would get some kind of terrible plague if you jumped in!

      Delete
  3. How beautiful!!! I am thoroughly jealous! And also, what eloquent descriptions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could show me these places in real life!
      Ahh, thanks! :D

      Delete