Monday, April 6, 2015

Anglesey

Two of Mama's good friends chauffered me around the Welsh island of Anglesey on Friday. They showed me all the sights and provided a running commentary in Welsh.

We saw Bangor from Beaumaris, drove around the coast, and saw Beaumaris fromo Bangor. Of course, we had to swing by the station with the longest name.

While they waited in the car, I explored Castell Beaumaris, Beaumaris Castle. It was wet and windy, but a few actors in medieval costume patrolled the grounds. I felt sorry for them, but they smiled for the picture.

Beaumaris, like other castles, is in partial ruin and has lots of stairs so steep and winding you have to half pull yourself up by the rope rail. What I like about it, though, is the little tiny chambers off the main halls, and the abbey. I can imagine people actually living there in those teeny spaces and attending services.

After the castle we passed Bangor University, its historic library presiding over the campus, and the Cathedral, and on our way home we stopped on the suspension bridge for a view of Llanberis across Lake Padarn.

Both Snowdon and Dolbadarn Castle were hidden in cloud, but isn't it glorious? And it's even better in summer, they told me.

I'm past the halfway mark of my time in Wales, but things like this tell me I'll just have to come back.

 

4 comments:

  1. You did more than I did at Beaumaris Castle. Indeed I took many a photo of this view over Lake Padarn. Your time is half way over!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did Mama do at the castle?
      Lake Pardarn is too beautiful, it makes good pictures!bi want to see Mama's when I go back.
      Yes, it is too soon!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete