Monday, April 13, 2015

Please Excuse My Geekdom

Someone asked me why I decided to visit Oxford in particular, out of all of England's old, historic cities. I came to this sandstone city for its bicycles, Corinthian columns, skyward steeples, exclusive libraries, posh citizens, and punt boats, but most of all for its singular pub, The Eagle and Child.
At the risk of sounding like the geek I am, it's been on my bucket list to have a pint where two of my literary heroes C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien once met weekly. There they sat at the back table and discussed philosophy and their written work.

As long as I can remember I have known C. S. Lewis's tales of talking horses, high seas, singing cabbies, and great lions. More recently I've come to appreciate Tolkien's brilliance as a linguist and as the pioneer of Fantasy, and also for his role in leading one of the best-known writers of Christian apologetics to faith in Jesus.

I was a bit disappointed with the pub. The food was pricey, and a few paintings, postcards, and a couple notices were the only memorabilia. However, Oxford itself is well-sprinkled with signs, plaques, former haunts, and of course the colleges associated with the two.

 

In front of "no-fun" Merton College

 

 

As for the pint, I much prefer a sweet half glass of port to that nasty, chicken-stock yellow stuff people seem to enjoy so much.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. That's why you went there. The road sign is fun. Have you tried going the Narnia way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, instant comment! :) I didn't follow the sign particularly, but I think I did go that way. It didn't take me to Narnia, sadly.

      Delete
  2. This post made me so happy! Bucket list cross off!! :D :)

    ReplyDelete