Sunday, January 18, 2015

About Food

Alll roads may lead to Rome, but it seems like all my conversations here lead to Colonization and Business. I asked my new Welsh friend what a traditional Welsh breakfast was, and he said porridge, because that's all the conquered peoples could afford to eat.

I've gone shopping at least once a day since I got here. I was delighted to find PB! Made my flatmates try it on carrot sticks (best carrot I've ever eaten, from the Marchnad Abertawe). One liked it, one didn't.


It takes more natural and less sweet than American PB.

On Friday, Joy and another Oklahoma student and I went to Eli Jenkin's for lunch. We sat at the table for like 20 minutes before we decided the waitress wasn't taking orders. I was sent to ask--we were supposed to order at the bar.
I had a huge British breakfast. Totally delicious, and worth 5 pound 45. Eli J's was just like a movie pub. Men in jumpers and newsboy hats, one of them swearing like a sailor in a thick accent. The surprising thing was that there were kids and families there, too.

I don't know if we have Pizza Express in America (we need to!) but my Swansean friend treated me to Leggero Pomodoro Pizza.

                                          




6 comments:

  1. You are having such exotic experiences! This pizza looks more like a salad than a pizza! I love porridge for my breakfast, conquered or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama is such a staunch porridge-lover. Plain, unsweetened porridge! :)

      Delete
  2. British breakfast...yum!! And I love the description of Eli Jenkin's !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm that's interesting about the porridge- that makes sense, but seems a bit plain for a traditional food. So you feel that when you speak to Welsh, the conversation topics are much different than when talking to someone from the states?
    Mm... the pizza! The style pizza is much more like an Italian style pizza. You got your healthy dose of veggies as well! Since you are a writer, you are able to make your blog writings so very interesting- it sounds like a professional blog.
    You include such details- even the origin of your carrot sticks. That must be fun to go shopping every day- will you try new goodies each time or stay with your same select choices of foods? Ohhh that PB sounds like yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you're leaving so many comments! Jewels!
      I think that maybe it's just my one particular friend who tends to talk about politics a lot--maybe not all Welsh people! :D
      Hey, it is like Italian pizza. It felt yummy yet healthy.
      Thanks for saying my writing sounds professional! What a compliment!
      It is very fun to go shopping, but not so fun to have heavy bags on my harms. I might start doing online shopping like they all seem to love here (where they deliver to your door) and only do my fresh shopping in person.
      I want to get mainly the same staples but maybe try one new thing each time.

      Delete
  4. Yay, british breakfast! That's a pretty good price, well, at least in comparision to the meals in London!

    ReplyDelete