Sunday, January 25, 2015

Shopping!

Apparently in Wales online grocery shopping is becoming increasingly popular. Tesco delivers, ASDA (owned by WalMart, interestingly enough) delivers, Sainsbury's delivers. It's so easy. You pick what you want online, order, a truck drives up, and a store person hands you a crate.

When I first heard about it, it seemed just too convenient. That's cheating! But after carrying this jumbo laundry bag all around the city center and Tesco for an afternoon, the delivery method is beginning to sound like a really grand idea.

Cupboard stocked!

Anyway, one result of my Wednesday shopping was leek soup! I've wanted to do that ever since my friend Martyne's blog post on A Crumb of Dust (she studied here last year on the same scholarship).

*There's a leek in my bag!!

On a side note: I spent several long minutes in the detergent aisle trying to decide whether "washing up liquid" was for clothes or dishes. It's for dishes!

 

 

9 comments:

  1. It must work well to have the staples delivered to you, but I still prefer to chuse the fresh produce myself. Your pantry is looking like a real pantry. The leek omelette looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops. I deleted the omellete photo after Mama commented. My brain was still a little bit scrambled by my ill spell, and it made me mess up so many times on this post + super critical of the look.
      Yes, I think the fresh stuff I will still get from the market!
      The omlette was really yums. I made another one this morning.

      Delete
  2. Haha Mama says chuse forevermore! Indeed there's so much cheap delivery of every kind in Europe. Are you going to try it? I spy "bicarbonate of soda"! Different! I hope the leek in Wales is extra yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is "chuse" an Austen word?
      I think this delivery is only possible in citites like these, where people live close relatively close together. I'll tell you if I try it!
      I know--at first I wasn't sure if bicarbonate of soda was the same as baking soda, but since it was in the home baking section, I just got it.
      Do you buy leeks sometimes? I think Mama said they're expensive in OK.

      Delete
  3. hahahaah! what a predicament of the washing up liquid! You know what that reminds me? That would've been a great one for "most puzzling circumstance" for our drawing game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed "chuse" comes from Mr. Knightley such as "there is one thing a man can always do if he chuses, that is his duty." Karen, indeed washing up liquid will be a fun topic for your game.

    ReplyDelete